Charleston International Airport (CHS)
History, Facts and Overview
(Charleston, South Carolina - SC, USA)
Dating back to 1928, Charleston Airport started its life as a privately owned airfield and was continually developed over the next decade, when the three runways were paved and greatly improved. At this stage, the airfield went by the name of Charleston Municipal Airport and was used extensively by the US army during the Second World War. The latter part of the 1940s saw the completion of a new terminal, while the early 1950s once again saw military use of Charleston Airport at the time of the Korean War.
The year of 1979 was an important time for the airport, when it was officially taken over by the Charleston County Aviation Authority (CCAA). Soon after in 1985, a new passenger terminal opened, featuring a large International Concourse area. Further improvements have been made over the years, upgrading the general facilities offered to passengers while they wait for their flight.
The airport is well designed and laid out for maximum efficiency, with two concourses connected by a central atrium. Charleston Airport features a fully equipped business center, as well as wireless Internet availability throughout the terminal. The terminal's excellent Business Center, as well as its two VIP lounges, can be booked for conferences and offer multimedia capability. The Business Center is sited next to the airport's main entrance, while the VIP lounges are shared between the two concourses.
The terminal of Charleston International Airport has an ATM machine and free wireless Internet access, while limited postal facilities are provided at the Business Center. There is a central food court in the atrium, along with a bar / restaurant in each of the two concourse areas. Two gift shops, a news-stand and a nursery complete the terminal's facilities.